Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Week



(photo by Tom Andrews, LAist.com)

PHOTO: My friend Emily Tsakona on the fence of the Mormon Temple, assuming a posture we all know so well and which should be speaking more about this issue than the H8TE.

Last week was one of victory and upset, celebration and sadness. The first African-American President accepted the position with a speech of new vision and new hope which included a group of Americans who were simultaneously losing a fundamental right in three states. California, Florida and Arizona all banned same-sex marriage on the same day that our country "overcame" its greatest civil rights battle. I assure you, that battle is not over.

A recap of last week for me:
----
On Wednesday night, November 5, I joined with my friends and allies in reaction to the passage of Proposition 8 which amends the California constitution to ban same-sex marriage. We went in solidarity to a gathering in West Hollywood. The placards with words like "victim," "h8te," and "my family" filled the air with the shouts of thousands, angry at the failure of their government to protect their fundamental liberties. As I roamed the crowd with my video camera, I watched thousands come together under the words of MLK. The looming fire hydrents which had been fitted with crowd control devices stood ready, bringing that generation and ours even closer. After the rally, we set off into the streets for a march.

As twenty unmarked police cars roared by our group with lights flashing and we watched police don riot gear, news that a sit-in was occurring at Hollywood & Highland came to us. Luckily the streets didn't turn to pandamonium, but the energy in the air was edging itself towards revolution. At Sunset and Highland, our group marched around the intersection five or six times, prompting horns and support from cars. While the night felt productive and our voices rang louder than I've heard at any pride fest, it all felt too much like a pre-election rally.
----
November 6: I went with more friends and more allies to the Mormon Temple on Santa Monica Blvd. Outside it's imposing gates, at the foot of it's monolithic tower and under the watchful eye of both church elders and LAPD, five to six thousand more people congregated to reflect and protest.

Five hours later, having marched for over six miles through the streets of LA, sitting in intersections, followed by helicopters and escorted by hundreds of LAPD on motor cycles, we came back to the beginning. I cannot describe the feeling that the temple's ominous glow rising above the city, imposing itself on the lives of thousands of queer individuals, had upon me. How powerful and eye-opening was the meddling of the church in the affairs of the state and its ability to protect my CIVIL liberties... An institution I have never been associated except for the support that I show for my Mormon friends in their faith has helped to change the course of history and made my pursuit of the fundamental happiness of marriage just a little bit harder...
----
I cannot help but admit that I did not do enough in the lead up to this decision. While I did get out and pass out stickers and palm cards, my biggest downfall here is not prompting more conversations with people around me. I have straight co-workers and religious friends and others close to me who I just assumed would see my side. Now, with remorse, I realize that my failure to say clearly and specifically that they were voting for my rights and my happiness may have prompted them to vote Yes.

I did not make it to the Saturday gathering in Silverlake where ten thousand of my friends and allies pursued their anger yet again... I'm exhausted and can't wait (despite the excitement of public demonstration) for the legal battles and tangibly effective changes which will show that we will not, have not, WILL NEVER, be defeated... It means so much for me to know that myself and others are fighting for something with so much passion and love. That can only be rewarded.

1 comment:

Connie Wood said...

We were wondering what you were doing on November 6th. Good it was for a good cause!